Thursday, September 10, 2015

Getting Started with a Needs Assessment

Okay. This week, and the next two weeks, are about me learning about the library and getting used to the way that the organization runs and functions. I am picking up on that in bits and pieces as volunteers are in and out of the library, but I have also been left with some time to begin to get thinking about some other projects. One of the major things that I will be working on at the beginning of my term is getting a community needs assessment rolling, as laid out by the objective in my VAD (VISTA Assignment Description).

(Dates performance have changed, since the program was originally meant to begin in Feb. and I am staring in Sept.)

This is going to be a good chance to put into action some of the things that I learned about during the last few years in school. I was able to go back and draw from my Program Evaluation textbook from last year and refresh myself on the steps for a needs assessment, which are actually pretty well demonstrated in the objective shown above.

Going back, though, I made myself some more notes from the book to help guide my process. I must say that I am also majorly fortunate that there are 3 other VISTAs working on the same project in different locations in the area: Thorne Bay, Craig, and Kake. Those volunteers began their assignments in either February or May, which means that I have some nice foundations already laid out for me.

Here are some basic notes that I drew from the chapter on needs assessments in the book Program Evaluation: An Introduction, 5th ed.

 
Step 1: Define the parameters for the needs assessment. 
  1. The purpose of the needs assessment 
  1. The level of assessment (statewide, community, neighborhood) 
  1. Budget and available resources 
  1. Time allotted for the project 
Step 2: Identify the information needed for decision making. 

Step 3: Determine what information already exists. 

Step 4: Develop a needs assessment plan- a methodology that will structure data-gathering. 

Step 5: Collect the actual data. 

Step 6: Begin writing the needs assessment report. 

Step 7: Share the preliminary results with key stakeholders. 

Step 8: Disseminate the results to interested and sympathetic parties.



Some other questions that I have drawn from the reading of the chapter that are on my list of things to consider:



Who are the stakeholders?
Funders
Administrators
Politicians
Community members
Service providers and staff
Programs or organizations that will make referrals
Businesses
Unions
Current, past, and potential clients

 What information sources are available?

What resources are available?



So for now, that's what I'm workin' on! I have already created some things in my notes that are going to help guide me in this, but that's the basic outline.


Royse, D., Thyer, B. A., & Padgett, D. K. (2010). Program evaluation: An introduction, 5th edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

No comments:

Post a Comment